Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Magnesium

<a href="http://danbandstra.bandcamp.com/track/magnesium">Magnesium by Dan Bandstra</a>




Songs have to deal with repetition in two ways: First, they are ideally sung and played over and over again, at different times and places. That's the kind of use one tries to design for. Second, there is inevitable repetition within songs. At the very least, the rhythm guitar part and bass (if any) will play the same pattern from one end to the other. That's ok, part of the weave and texture of a song. But when a single lyric or guitar lick is repeated, the effect for me is almost literally ad nauseam, as if I'm about to have a seizure unless I turn the radio off. This by way of apology for the brevity of my songs. I'm just trying to make something that will stand up to a few years of wear and tear.

Image Credit: oldcomputers.net

No comments: